Sports Chelsea star Ruben Loftus-Cheek is just happy to be back playing again after 13 months out injured


Chelsea star Ruben Loftus-Cheek is delighted to be back playing again despite feeling 'a yard off' on his return to action against Aston Vila.

The midfielder played 55 minutes during his side's 2-1 win at Villa Park in what was his first competitive outing for 13 months.

Loftus-Cheek injured his achilles in May 2019 and was just happy to be back out on the pitch even if he wasn't completely satisfied with his performance.

'Honestly it felt amazing after so long without playing, 13 months since my last competitive game,' Loftus-Cheek told Chelsea's official website. 'To get on the pitch, even though there were no fans and it felt slightly different, it was amazing to feel that competitive spirit again.

'I'm just being grateful to be playing. I started against Aston Villa and I didn't play as well as I wanted to play, but I just came off the pitch thinking I can't be angry about that. I've just been out for 13 months.

'I did feel a yard off at times, physically and mentally, the feel of the game, how you would when you're sharp and playing every week. I couldn't say I felt like that. It's hard to explain. You don't have that smell for the game but it will come back the more I play.

'I wasn't too hard on myself, I'm just happy to play and grateful to be back on the pitch. Slowly as I play more that sharpness will get better, and physically I will feel much better as well.'

Loftus-Cheek impressed in the Blues Project Restart preparations, including a two-goal display in the warm-up friendly against QPR.

While he has been out Chelsea got themselves into a position to secure a top four spot though Champions League football might well have been in the bag had they not been undermined by a repeated failing.

Chelsea's repeated issues when it came to breaking down defensive sides this season left Lampard admitting he felt like a broken record whenever he bemoaned the problem pre-lockdown.

Exciting signings Hakim Ziyech and Timo Werner will give Chelsea more cutting edge but not until next year. The hope is Loftus-Cheek can get back up to full speed and help more immediately.

Popular Posts