DAZZLING HEART Short story by Umar Yakubu.


 
Khalid and Amara are sweethearts, best friend,  since in the university level , despite thier cultural difference, Creed,and belif . they still find a way to be very close to each other . After University, Khalid got a job as a manager in an oil firm and he runs a petti job outside that  but this did not change his love for Amara . Amara on the other hand works as a cashier in a bank and also own a saloon .
They spend most of thier liesure time together in the beaches, Gymnasium, do go to the massage together . Khalid father is the chief imam of the central mosque he is well known. Amara's father is a pastor which made the matter very complicated for her, although she has not taken him home yet. On a Sunday afternoon, Khalid invited Amara to his father's place .
"Do you think your dad will accept!" She asked
'i love my dad , he's a very understanding person , but tell tell him your name is Khadija". Khalid said
" Khadija kwa? Why not Amara ?"
" Will tell you latter " he siad as they both headed to his father's place .  On getting there His father praised his son " you are like your dad" with alhaja sitting down smiling continuously and he told them not to waste anymore time . After the meeting, Amara was a bit relieved and their bond continues to grow.

Five  years pass just like a second, both parties are not getting any younger as both of their parent are mounting pressure on them to bring a thier soul mate home .
"Amara you are not getting any younger, I need to see my grandkids before I die please" the tune her mom keeps on playing , everything that happens it her fault even if the paste finish her mom will be throwing shades at her, her dad on the other hand is always busy and just always tell her not to rush into anything. . Amara never loved her dad until recently . Immediately after  having a brief discussion with her parents she put a call through her sweetheart.
" Hello Khalid, I would love to see you it's very important , I'm in your house now" she said as she did not wait for any reply and she hangs up. Khalid in a panic mode , he quickly rushed home and asked his colleagues to cover for him. On getting home he saw her love down and he asked ,
"Ama , watin dey happen na?, Why are you down? I was scared ?, What's the matter ?" He just kept on asking repeatedly as he gave her a warm hug
" It's nothing serious, I am 29 and you are 32 , and we are not getting any younger, in few years time I would be crossing my menoupaulse stage , and I cannot give birth , let get married , the pressure is much and I have already know more than enough about you please" she said as she hold back the tears
" I really love you Amara, I just wanted telling you that Friday, we have been together for over 6 years and I want you to be the mother of my kids"
"Wow! Yes!!!  Thanks love ❤️!!!" She said and gave him a hug
"But this time no lies , we will tell them all the Truth" he said as he went to the kitchen to prepare a meal for them .. after the meal they both agree on the next Monday to go visit thier parents for preparations.

On a lovely sunny Monday morning , they both headed for Khalid's parents house, he already informed them that he would be coming with his wife , and also he already took a week off at work to settle all his matters .  On getting there , there were given a walm welcome and went downto business.
" Khalid!! , Khadija ko no é lé yî( is this not Khadija)" asked his father
"Khadija ko! Khadija ni! , This one is Amara" said his mom , covering for Khalid
"She look so much like her , Amara ............" They continued thier conversation and it all went well , and they told thier son to go to his in-laws place to pick to inform them that they would be coming on Wednesday.  After the discussion both parties asked thier son to wait for them that they have a conversation with only him, which he agreed.
" I Know I am old , but I'm not that dumb, I know she's Khadija and Amara , but as a Muslim I don't think it's ideal for you to marry her " his dad said
" No , she will marry her o, they are together since this year's ,and she's okay " his mom said
" Dad , I am marrying her , and nothing is happening, Iyawo wá ni yén (that's our wife) " he said  as his dad walked away and he went out and headed for the car where Amara was awaiting his arrival.
"Hope all is well" she asked
" All is well dear! It's about Some family issues and some family members that would be present in the introduction , let's head to your place" he said as he gave a teasing smile. Hearing this Amara was super excited and she can't help but shout "Yes!!" . They went straight to her parents house she already told them she would be coming so all preparations are done. They got there at about 3 afternoon after beating Lagos traffic.
"Amara , Nne , how are you" her mother greeted, as he walks in with Khalid , Khalid dressed in a suit and smell's nice .
" Good afternoon ma'am, sorry for coming late it was the traffic, good afternoon dad " he treated cautiously . As they began to converse it got to a stage .
" You are Khalid! , Are you a Muslim or a Christian? " His dad asked
" Dad he....is..." Will you shut up his dad cuts Amara
" I'm a Muslim and we have ta......" Khalid said as he was cut short again
" I'm sorry it can't work, look for another person, I'm a pastor and I can't let my daughter marry a Muslim" he siad and walks out , leaving Khalid , Amara and her mom inside
" Don't worry we will settle it , come back next week " her mother said . Amara was furious as she grabbed Khaled by his arms and they both went home , their car was silent as an empty room nobody uttered a world until they got home .
"Everything will be better , let's just talk things out with them " Khalid said.
" You see enough of begging, let's do something?" Amara asked
"What"
" Get me pregnant 😣 ,let's relocate and we will come back after we have given birth to our second baby " she said gazing steadily at his face .
" This is not the time , let's chill and do it legally , our parents will agree to this despite our belifs , I believe" he said trying to console her.
" Really!!! It's not time , after all this year's ? You know what ..I'm leaving....." She  said as she slammed the door really hard .
" Wait , pls  let's not do what we will  have our self to be blamed in the long run ..... , okay let me drop you since you are not with your car " he said as he follows her outside.
" You know what ? I will board a bike okay and if you are ready call me , I can't still believe you are a coward " she said and walks away leaving Khalid  in an helpless mode , this time he has to think with his head and not with his heart.

 6 Months past, Bonnie and Clyde are now Cat and rat there don't see themselves, don't communicate anymore, she doesn't pick his calls or reply his text, they don't even go to thier weekends Gymnasium and beach again , thier relationship is on the brink of collapse, relationship of over 6 years is about to be shattered by an opinion.  He is not concentrating on office and it's has affected everything about him.
"Let me kuku tell her I will do it , pls pick up " he said to himself as he place calls repeatedly .
 Khalid do often go to her house and she's not always around,  in her work place she is not there, so he decided to go to his parents house.
" Good day ma! Do you see Amara ? Been calling her line , it's not connecting " he asked panicking
" Did she invite you too ?"
"Ma'am I don't get you"
" Today is her introduction , and she's inside and we are waiting for the arrival of her in-laws , let me call her for you " said her mom , as Khalid was full and ready to explode. Shortly she came with Amara dressed in a traditional attire and pancake all over her face .
"It's not my fault, you are not ready to face your fears , I wanted telling you with my husband but you cane , I'm 2 weeks  pregnant , I still love you but I did this for us " she said as she hold back her tears .
" Okay just be happy , you are  the best thing that has happened to me , " he said and he walks sadly to his car and tears streamed down his face . " Now my turn" he says as he zommed off .







Popular Posts